General Counsel – New York
As the first member of our legal team, you will collaborate with senior leadership and outside counsel to refine the legal frameworks and policies to ensure Forter’s compliance with U.S. and international laws and regulatory frameworks around the world. Forter’s business touches many of the most salient issues in the digital world today, including the application of artificial intelligence to digital transactions, privacy and new and pending privacy frameworks such as PSD2 and GDPR, cyber security, and cyber intelligence. This role is both strategic and operational, and you will work closely with Sales, Finance, Human Resources on coordinating execution of all day-to-day legal activities including contracts, employment matters, company transactions, structuring, and litigation. In short, we are looking for someone to pioneer the Legal department of our global company and help define the legal and regulatory strategy of the company, while driving the businesses forward .
Stuff you’ll be doing:
- Oversee all legal and compliance affairs for Forter’s various lines of business and advise the executive team and management at all levels of the organization accordingly
- Draft and/or refine existing form commercial agreements, including Client/Partner contracts, vendor agreements, NDAs, MSAs, etc.
- Coordinate execution/resolution of customer contracts, vendor agreements, data protection, privacy and security addendums, software-related agreements/licenses, advertising and consumer protection issues, HR/employment issues, ESOP support and other compliance-related challenges experienced by a fast-growing fintech corporation
- Ensure compliance with international laws and regulations relating to privacy, consumer protection, data protection, security, content, intellectual property, and other relevant laws
- Formulate, implement and manage internal governance policies to ensure global regulatory and legal compliance
- Anticipate and identify legal risks globally, stay abreast of various regulatory developments, and use critical thinking to provide proactive and strategic solutions to eliminate or mitigate those risks in this rapidly changing legislative and regulatory environment
- Develop and lead strategic solutions to complex multinational risk management matters to further Forter’s business goals
- Research unique legal issues impacting the organization including those specific to payments and international startups
Stuff you’ll need:
- JD from a top-tier law school along with good standing of the New York State Bar or eligibility to register as in-house counsel in New York
- At least 2 years of in-house legal experience
- At least 8 years of broad-based yet in-depth contract law and commercial experience
- In-house experience with an international tech startup
- Your current portfolio includes technology-related commercial, corporate, and HR legal matters specific to Enterprise B2B operations, ideally concerning international and cross-border transactions
- Outstanding knowledge of commercial contract law and negotiation
- Excellent analytical skills and versatility in solving and managing legal issues
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are a non-negotiable
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S. for other than practical training
- Understanding of current International data protection and privacy legislation is a plus
If you’re up to the challenge, please send your CV with the title of the position you’re applying for to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our compensation package includes: A competitive salary, a comprehensive and generous health, dental and vision insurance, and stock options in a rapidly growing fintech company that is backed by the best venture capital firms in the world, including Sequoia Capital, NEA, and Scale VP.
Forter is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.